St. Paul’s Methodist
Protestant Church

Cornerstone laid June 24, 1881
Completed 1882

 On June 24, 1881, the Grand Lodge of Maryland, King David Lodge No. 68, Union Lodge No. 60, along with many others, chartered the Steamer Keyport, sailed down the bay to Cambridge where they were received by Cambridge Lodge No. 66 with Charles H. Hayward, Worshipful Master. Under the direction of the Right Worshipful Grand Marshall, George L. McCahan, a procession was formed including other chapters from surrounding towns and Delaware. The column of Masons, led by a band, marched to the site of St. Paul’s Methodist Protestant Church on Maryland Avenue in East Cambridge and in due Masonic form laid the cornerstone of the little house of worship. The church was a Gothic frame structure, 36 x 50 feet, with a spire. It cost $1,800.00.The contents of the cornerstone laid that day were a list of the building committee and others as well as a copy of the Methodist Protestant. The membership quickly outgrew the little frame church and in 1912, ground was broken for a new edifice to be built on the same site. During construction, services were held in Phillips Hall at the corner of Gay and Muse Streets.

Original Church